Wednesday 4 June 2014

The path to new work: it's a spiral

Spiral Staircase; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2014
"The path isn't a straight line; it's a spiral. You continually come back to things you thought you understood and see deeper truths." – Barry H. Gillespie

Days after I started feeling more like my pre-accident self I celebrated by pulling an all-nighter to do a big clear out of my studio. I filled two recycle bins and moved out the clutter. The space now has breathing and thinking room. My work requires use of materials and tools (fabric, paper, acrylics, thread, brushes, needles...) that in certain quantities or arrangements look like clutter. Just the right amount of clutter stimulates creativity and too much or too little will stifle it. 

Along with decluttering my studio, I have swept the porch and I've been preparing surfaces for collage. These actions are harbingers of new work about to be made. I can feel the energy building.

No comments: