Monday 26 May 2014

Studio Series: Composition in Red 3 (before)

Composition in Red 3 (before) © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Composition in Red 3 is one of the four Composition pieces that I made for my solo show at You Me Gallery in 2013. At first it and Composition in Red 1 were my favourites of the four. I've since changed my mind about Composition in Red 3 and in the process, have reworked this piece and am in the process of reworking Composition in Red 2. At another time I'll share images of the reworked pieces.

One of the things I love about my new work is that I can change it when, after living with it for a while, I see that some of the elements don't work. If memory serves me correctly, I replaced five of the units in this piece. Abstract painter Leya Evelyn also reworks her paintings. She once told me that sometimes she would rework paintings that had come back unsold after a solo show. Inevitably, someone would have seen a particular painting during said show, inquire about it weeks later, and find that Evelyn had completely reworked it. In this case, you snooze, you lose.

No comments: