Wednesday 12 February 2014

Studio Series: Singapore 1 quilt

Singapore #1 © Karen Thiessen, 2014
If I'm counting correctly, Singapore #1 is my seventh quilt. As the title indicates, I made this quilt while living in Singapore. My husband and I sold our house and car, and put most of our belongings into storage. I felt dislocated and homeless. This was simultaneously exhilarating and frightening. We had left behind an open landscape with lots of green spaces, forests, and fields in and around our mid-sized Ontario city. Singapore was loud, colourful, congested, exciting. This quilt illustrates the tensions of what we had left behind and where we were living during our year-and-three-day adventure.
Singapore #1 detail © Karen Thiessen, 2014
Here's a detail that shows what to do when a seam decides to fray while you are quilting it. Yay, a problem becomes an opportunity!

Singapore #1 was part of the Canadian Contemporary Quilts exhibition that toured Canada from 1998 to 2001.

No comments: