Monday 23 December 2013

Studio Series: Leaves of significance project

Mulberry & birch leaves © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Drawing keeps me calm. As I drew these leaves, I listened to Malcolm Gladwell's latest offering: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants on CD. I am visual and kinaesthetic, which means that once I lay my hands on the dead tree version (an actual book), I'll reread it. I could really relate to the part about misfits. If you decide to listen to the audio version, Gladwell reads it himself and this is one time when an author narrating his own book is a good thing. His voice is easy on the ears and his vocal variety (a Toastmaster term) is perfect.

I really need to get back to the studio to draw, stitch, or collage. These activities keep me calm and focussed, and I'm embarrassed to say that I have been so engrossed in meeting deadlines and finishing old projects that I forgot that Christmas is imminent, so I'm trying not to hyperventilate. Yikes!

Above are drawings from my leaves of significance project. I have no idea where this project is going, but I'm enjoying the ride.

No comments: