Friday 31 May 2013

Unit(y): Composition in Black

Composition in Black © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Composition in Black was the last multiple unit piece that I made for my Unit(y) exhibition. When it hung on my studio wall, I thought it was okay, but my Composition in Red pieces were more to my liking. When my hubby and I hung Composition in Black in the gallery, I could see that it was much stronger than I had first thought. The Composition pieces really are a unification of all that I have been doing over the last ten years, hence the Unit(y) title for the exhibition.
Composition in Black detail © Karen Thiessen, 2013
In the above detail photo you can see how the insect pins add a touch of elegance to the piece.
Composition in Black detail © Karen Thiessen, 2013
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you'll recognize the Starhex pattern, a common Japanese geometric pattern, that I built and rebuilt in Adobe Illustrator. Composition in Black brings together my passions for textiles, collage and pattern into a meaningful whole. A very nice couple will be taking it home after the show comes down. 

1 comment:

india flint said...

There's something so very satisfying in the repetition of simple elements- or perhaps I should say deceptively simple elements