Tuesday 22 January 2013

Pattern

Laminate pattern; Photo credit: Karen Thiessen, 2012
This is my absolute favourite time of the year. The mercury has plummeted and I am grateful for our furnace. My hubby and I had a few walks on the weekend decked out in heavy jackets and snow pants. I followed our winter walks with hot tea and a pile of design books and magazines by my side. My mission is to reduce my inventory of old Elle Decoration UK and Livingetc. magazines by pulling clippings, processing the images (gluing them into my sketchbook and then reflecting on them), and then purging the magazines. The pull/process/purge routine worked well and now my 2009 mags are in the recycle bin. My goal is to get through the 2010 mags by the end of February and to process every clipping that I pull so that I am not left with another tower of loose pages. What is catching my eye? Pattern, of course. My sketchbook is filling with all manner of pattern that I am eager to replicate in Adobe Illustrator. This year I've discovered the power of replicating patterns: it's ramped up my learning of AI big time.

The above image is from a table top at the Humani-T Cafe in Halifax, Nova Scotia where I had the best-ever vegan strawberry gelato in August 2012. This pattern boggles my mind and I won't be attempting to replicate it any time soon.

No comments: