Tuesday 24 January 2012

Postcards: de Young Gallery

I wish I knew if this bookmark was based on a painting in the collection of the de Young Museum in San Francisco. The stripes are wonderful. I picked this up at the de Young in 2008 when the Gilbert and George exhibit was on. Being an artist and on vacation is a tricky thing. If I go to a museum or gallery, I'm in work mode. If I explore a city on foot, I'm in vacation mode and I'm absorbing inspiration indirectly. Both feed me, but if I'm in a place for a short time and the weather is perfect for walking, hanging out in a gallery is a tough sell. Thankfully I had already explored San Francisco in great depth a few years earlier, so visiting the de Young wasn't a hardship. I went for the Gilbert and George show, but what wowed me was the Jane Hammond show, Ruth Asawa's ethereal sculptures on the way up to the Hamon Tower and the grounds of the de Young in Golden Gate Park. If you are in San Francisco and are blessed with rain, check out the de Young and the SFMOMA.

No comments: