Tuesday 6 December 2011

Postcards: Adam Gibbs Tjapaltjarri

It's that time of year where I seek images of comfort. This postcard has been with me fourteen years and I carry it wherever we move. 1997 found us living in Singapore. Singapore is a major travel hub, so naturally we travelled to Australia, Bali, Malaysia, and Thailand. We landed in Sydney at the tail-end of a hot spell. For us Canucks, it was still waaaay too hot. Eight days in Sydney gave us a much-needed break from the chaos and noise of Singapore. We found a lovely Bed-and-Breakfast in Balmain, a charming suburb of Sydney. Balmain and nearby Rozelle offered small town friendliness with city amenities. Along the main street in Rozelle, I found this postcard. Aboriginal art exudes soul, connection, mindfulness. If I were patient enough to meditate, I would focus my attention on this image. Perhaps just taking it in is a form of meditation.


In case you are curious, this painting depicts "Men's Ceremonial site at a rockhole near Lake MacDonald" by Papunya Tula artist Adam Gibbs Tjapaltjarri of the Western Desert. Craig Lamotte photographed the painting.

No comments: