Wednesday 12 October 2011

Studio series: Doily Sun print

Doily sun print © Karen Thiessen 2011
Now that the weather is changing, I am scanning and processing in Photoshop some of the sun prints that I did over the summer. In each of my photography courses, the biggest highlight was making photograms in the darkroom. Unfortunately, there was little time to do them because each course had its learning modules and darkroom time was precious. The toxic developing chemicals were another drawback.
Seeing Gaye Jackson's photograms of old bottles rekindled my desire to explore cameraless photography and by chance I found Sunprint Kits at Swipe Books in Toronto this summer. The best part of the kits is that no toxic chemicals are required to process the images: paper + objects + sun + water = a print.

No comments: