Tuesday 11 October 2011

Postcards: Hilary Pfeifer

San Francisco was long on my top-ten places to visit list and finally in 2005 I managed my first visit, followed by another in 2008. Aside from the very steep hills, the first thing that I noticed was how very polite and friendly San Franciscans are. When I visit a place, I like to see it in detail, so I spent my entire 10 day visit walking around the city, exploring its every nook and cranny. A favourite gallery is Velvet da Vinci on Hayes Street. Each time I visit, I'm impressed with the exhibitions. I picked up this postcard in 2005. The image is a detail from Hilary Pfeifer's Vertical Garden. I'm a sucker for modular art and recycling. Hilary's mixed media sculptures typically incorporate recycled wood and found objects. All I can say is that they are wonders to behold and they are friendly, just like the folks in San Francisco.

1 comment:

india flint said...

San Francisco is indeed a fabulous city for walking, with its myriad stairways and hidden gardens...and warm and friendly inhabitants