Wednesday 6 July 2011

Robin Redbreast

A few weeks ago I hung out with this adolescent robin and was surprised that he trusted me enough to get close. I looked at him for several minutes, went inside to fetch my camera, and then spent another five minutes with him. Eventually he decided that we had bonded enough and flew off. I did some research and learned that this young robin has only a 25% chance of making it to the beginning of November of his first year. Domestic cats, squirrels, chipmunks, hawks, crows, blue jays, owls, and raccoons are some of the predators that may eat him for breakfast. 


Do you remember this nursery rhyme?:
Little Robin Redbreast
Little Robin Redbreast sat upon a tree,
Up went pussycat and down went he,
Down came pussycat, and away Robin ran,
Says little Robin Redbreast, "Catch me if you can."

Little Robin Redbreast jumped upon a wall,
Pussycat jumped after him and almost had a fall.
Little Robin chirped and sang, and what did pussy say?
Pussycat said, "Meow," and Robin flew away.

No comments: