Monday 18 April 2011

Fibre with a Difference: Tabiro


Sal gave me this lovely textile for Christmas in 2009 and the gift benefited both me and the woman who made it. The colours, pattern, and stitching all speak to me. Each time I look at it, I discover new details. Sal's friend Mary went to Uganda with cloth and embroidery floss and returned to Canada with textiles embroidered by the Tabiro Ladies Club. The women celebrate beauty, community, and colour through their textiles despite living with the effects of HIV and poverty. Beauty can emerge from difficulty.


This week I'll write about fibre made by people who reside on the margins of society. Some of the makers live with HIV AIDS, poverty, and/or intellectual disabilities. Despite the challenges, the resulting work is engaging and inspiring.

No comments: